Hurricane Gustav's looming threat inspired a few old friends from my hometown to come visit me. It was a wholly unexpected experience; one that I could not have planned or even have guessed would happen.
I got to spend an entire week with Chris Fontana, and I showed him a few of the perks of living here in Austin. He at the same time reminded me of what it meant to be in New Orleans right now. The man is as fascinating and funny as he is kind, generous, and absolutely insane. Hopefully one day he'll decide to spend at least a year here. I mean, nobody moves to Austin permanently. It also seems that no one ever leaves permanently, either.
Tom Haulard, professional sleeper, evacuated here with fascist, pharoah-like people who would not let him leave their sight for even a moment, or at least that's what he'd have me believe. It's amazing, the power of the human vagina. He left town before we ever got to hang out (except the night he arrived five days prior). However, I will spare his life so he can go to my birthday party in November (shakes fist).
Holly and Brittanny also chose to have their Hurrication here, which made an exciting week all the better. I love those two. We all evacuated here together three years ago, so it was a fitting Katrinaversary celebration.
My vinyl copy of The Walkmen's You & Me showed up on Wednesday. I declare this record to be better than anything else released this year. I know it's only September, but I'm already convinced.

It's 180 gram and red as fuck. It will now be battling Cosmo's Factory for the "only album I really listen to nowadays" award.

Also, I'm headlining at the Velveeta Room next week for the first time ever. Ramin Nazer will be opening, and Bob Khosravi will be making his debut as a feature, which I'm very excited about. Also, I have Spite Club against Gutmann the night before.
I aint leaving the house for a while.

No comments:
Post a Comment